Thursday 23 February 2012

A song

The day is at it's end when finally we arrive. I step out of the car, leave the rest to deal with settling in and with the luggage and I start to run. The breeze welcomes me with a suffocating hug and almost stops me in my tracks but I keep running.
  Finally I'm here. I tear my shoes off my legs and bury my bare feet in the sand. Slowly, savoring every little moment I walk towards the water until I'm up to my knees in the water. The end of my skirt is wet but I don't care. I'm here.
  I close my eyes and breath in deeply. Then I start to sing. A song to say "Hello". After my voice fades I start to listen. The sea sings back, welcomes me and gently caresses me with it's beauty. I stay like that, listening, until it's dark, until my feet are icy cold and my stomach hurts from hunger. I then say goodnight and go to the hotel.
  Even then, behind the walls I can hear the song.
  Even when I go home, away from the shore, I can still hear the song.
  The song that the sea sings.
  My song.

No comments:

Post a Comment